Sunday, April 30, 2006

Art or Invention?

Last weekend I went to Maker Faire 2006, a faire hosted by Make Magazine. How can I describe this event? It was a cross between a Science Fair, a carnival, and Burning Man (well my impression of Burning Man—I've never been there). For a weekend, inventors came out of their garages to showcase their creations for the public. It gave me the feeling that time had become twisted causing the Renaissance to collide with the Digital Age. It was a lot of fun. I highly recommend checking it out next year if you're in the Silicon Valley.

I went to Make 2006 to understand something about creativity I still couldn't quite figure out. I think most people would agree that both artists and inventors have creativity. But invention is about creating something useful, something that solves a problem. Are artists also trying to solve some kind of problem or is art (A) equivalent to invention (I) minus function (F)?

     A = I - F                         (Equation 1)

I asked several inventors about their motives for inventing. In particular, I wanted to talk to inventors who had created something seemingly functionless. If I looked at their invention and I said to myself, "now what's the point of that?" then that was an inventor I wanted to understand better. Here is what I learned from three of them.

The first was a musician, pictured below, I don't remember his name (my apologies). A crowd swarmed around him. I peaked over their shoulders to see the mad-scientist/artist below gesticulating wildly. With each flick of his fingers, a new sound emerged which created the most wonderful music. But why?



I asked him why he made his musical glove and he explained to me that when he was getting started as a musician, people would hire him to produce electronic music for parties. He didn't like sitting behind a laptop though, he wanted to get up and entertain the audience with more than his music. So he created a special glove that gave him the same control as his computer but allowed him to get up and perform. I once heard that a similar thing happened with drummers in rock bands when the electric guitarists started claiming center stage. Drummers started putting a lot more flare into playing their instrument. So there you go, an artist with a specific problem that motivated him to innovate artistically.

But I was still skeptical. I thought when I found the Giant Painting Machine below, I had found an instance of art unadulterated by the economic, social, and political motivations that seem to drive invention. Stretching up before me was an enormous painting consisting of nothing but squiggly lines in varying shades of green. It was still being painted, in fact, by none other than a painting robot. Surely this had to be a functionless, purely artistic creation, right?



Wrong. When I spoke to the artist, Douglas Irving Repetto, I found out there was a very practical explanation for the art and the invention for creating it. One of his patrons had asked him to fill a big blank wall. Finding he needed to do a lot of repetitive work to create a giant painting, he did what human beings have done since at least the time that farming replaced hunting, he looked for a way to get more output with less work. He built a machine to paint for him.

It's a neat invention consisting of a motorized brush holder attached to a 2-axis pulley system. I didn't see if the artist controlled it by remote control, but I can just picture him reclining in a Lazy Boy, RC in one fist, ice tea in the other painting away at an enormous canvas.

My hypothesis was not holding up so far, but when I saw what's pictured below, I thought for sure I'd found a purely functionless invention that couldn't be called much more than modern art. It was the world's biggest iPod.



This was it, I thought: a purposeless invention, a perfect example of wasted human creativity. Why would someone turn something that's main benefit is its small size and make it huge? It was just to be "creative," right? It couldn't possibly have a function...or could it?

I had been foiled twice by my incomplete world view so I wasn't going to let it happen again. Smart thing I held back my urge to ridicule this so-called invention, because it turned out there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for the device. The creator had a collection of vinyl records he wanted to be able to listen to on his iPod. So he bought an old fashioned record player and rewired it so he could control it with his iPod, thus allowing him to convert the songs to electronic form. The artistic irony was secondary, the need was the primary driver. So there you go, another piece of art that's actually an invention.

Does pure art, unadulterated by the needs of human beings even exist? Are invention and art independent concepts that both happen to be driven by creativity? Or is art a type of invention? I'd appreciate your help in understanding this issue that has perplexed me for years. Maybe you can explain the bicycle below made out of a 2 by 4 and a single wheel. Is that art or an invention? I didn't get a chance to ask its creator what the motivation was, but from my experience talking to the musicians and painter above I guess I should expect to be surprised that there was a functional reason to invent this enigmacycle.

3 Comments:

Blogger 梁爵 said...

2020.05.06新冠肺炎疫情肆虐,由於先前有台北某知名酒店工作酒店女公關酒店S確診,因此指揮中心下令全台酒店上班暫時停業,連帶造成許多小姐生計出現困難。不過也正因為如此,大家開始討論八大行業酒店內秘辛、玩法、價位等等,一些不為人知的事情,浮上檯面;一名酒店小姐就分享,曾遇到狐臭味超重的客人。根據【酒店PT】鍵盤大檸檬網站真人真事,一名酒店打工酒店小姐因為經濟困難到酒店上班,卻遇上「超級狐仙」客人,對方味道濃醇不香,期間不斷手舉高、腋下對著她;回家洗澡完,她發現身上仍有客人的狐臭味,因此再次坐檯時,請求對方不要再點她檯了,結果男客居然犯賤,每回來都點她。隨著酒店停業,想必該位小姐暫時不會再被男客的狐臭味侵犯了。回顧先前本刊記者調查,台北市合法登記的酒吧及視聽歌唱等特種行業約30家,以每家平均40個包廂(桌數),單店每日營收60萬元至240萬元為計,停業一個月,損失最高飆破20億元,若計入不合法的地下酒店,損失將逾30億元。而有業者為了求生存,因此轉為「地下化」,更有酒店女公關轉戰應召市場,宜蘭甚至出現付1500元就能獲得全套服務亂象。目前台灣疫情逐漸趨緩,對於酒店何時解禁,中央流行疫情指揮中心指揮官陳時中表示,解禁沒有時間表,但只要大家願意好好配合,那開放的時間就越快。

5/06/2020 5:35 AM  
Blogger 梁爵 said...

2020.06.09酒店小姐的基本介紹跟工作內容台北市大安區忠孝東路四段一間我在酒店上班的日子酒店,凌晨3時許發生打架案,30歲張姓男子在酒店門口與人口角衝突,慘被打到頭破血流送醫,由於不敢來酒店上班-酒店打工的原因疫情期間,酒店採實名制,所有進出酒客都有登錄姓名,目前酒店上班-酒店兼職-兼差如何達成人生的第一桶金警方根據監視器畫面及酒店兼差不是一個複雜的工作環境?登錄資料,已鎖定涉嫌動手的兩名男子,積極追查中。
職場須知 【酒店PT 】事發沒多久,張男的友人一度帶約10名黑衣人重回酒店要討公道,要店家教人出來,警方獲報出動30名快打警力,由於現場並無過激動作,警方查抄資料後將這群人驅離,另為防再有意外,也加派警力在酒店外站崗以防滋事。
警方初步調查,張男與朋友到忠孝東路四段地下室的「香閣里拉」酒店消費,結束後友人先離去,最後上來的張男在門口嘔吐,遇上正要從酒店出來的另群酒客,雙方發生口角,隨即大打出手,張男疑遭對方持鈍器攻擊,被打倒在地,頭部有撕裂傷,救護車將他送醫救治,暫無生命危險。

6/08/2020 10:34 PM  
Blogger 梁爵 said...

2020.10.31網紅「【酒店小姐】【酒店公關】橫綱凱咪」(Aqq cami)日前在臉書爆料酒店小姐的基本介紹跟工作內容,指網美圈有7成都在酒店兼差可以現領賣淫,除了引起外界討論,也讓不少知名網紅躺著中槍。對此,資深媒體人羅友志近日受訪時透露,類似酒店小姐酒店上班的價目表其實都是故意流出,藉此炒作身價,而大老闆們若有意尋芳,便會和媽媽桑聯絡,再透過一套「買春SOP」進行交易。不敢來酒店上班-酒店打工的原因報導,羅友志表示,以他過去跑新聞的經歷來看,類似的女藝人、飯局妹或小模的價目表會曝光,通常都是有人刻意炒作,因為價碼一出來,坊間就會開始影射、穿鑿附會,只要有新聞話題,一些大老闆及有錢人自然會產生興趣,女孩們的身價也會跟著提高,算是一種相當有效的行銷手法。羅友志提到,現在的網紅大致分為2種,如果是高人氣的百大網紅,必須得顧及面子和名聲,不可能公開讓人知道自己有在做,多數都會姑隱其名,然而雞頭又必須讓客人知道小姐的來頭不小,所以常會在底下加註一些暗示性的資訊,例如上過的節目、個人特徵等,如果服務口碑良好,身價也會翻倍。至於賣淫方式,羅友志指出,有錢人和網紅性交易,一方不想說「嫖」,另一邊也不想承認自己「被嫖」,於是便衍生出了一套獨特的SOP,例如媽媽桑成立公關公司,再安排旗下小姐和大老闆約會,當天不會有任何金錢交易,之後以合作的形式付錢給公關公司,經紀抽頭後再分給小姐,如此一來三方都得利。最後,羅友志也奉勸現在年輕女孩,賣淫這種事只要做過一次,未來就難以脫身,不要認為一時缺錢花用,偶爾為之無傷大雅,再說歲月是無情的,現在好賺是因為年輕,等到年紀漸長、失去行情後,就只能淪落到酒店甚至站壁,更別提「每個人都會跟大家講,我睡過她,那印章永遠都會蓋在身上。」

10/31/2020 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home